How Does Alpha-Stim® Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) Work?
The first section has been reproduced with the kind permission of microcurrent.
How does Alpha-Stim® cranial electrotherapy stimulation (CES) technology work?
The exact mechanism by which Alpha-Stim® technology produces effects is not fully known. However, based on previous and ongoing studies, it appears that the Alpha-Stim® microcurrent waveform activates particular groups of nerve cells that are located at the brainstem. These groups of nerve cells produce the chemicals serotonin and acetylcholine which can affect the chemical activity of nerve cells that are both nearby and at more distant sites in the nervous system. In fact, these cells are situated to control the activity of nerve pathways that run up into the brain and that course down into the spinal cord. By changing the electrical and chemical activity of certain nerve cells in the brainstem, Alpha-Stim® technology appears to amplify activity in some neurological systems, and diminish activity in others. This neurological ‘fine tuning’ is called modulation, and occurs either as a result of, or together with the production of a certain type of electrical activity pattern in the brain known as an alpha state which can be measured on brain wave recordings (called electro-encephalograms, abbreviated EEG). Such alpha rhythms are accompanied by feelings of calmness, relaxation and increased mental focus. The neurological mechanisms that are occurring during the alpha state appear to decrease stress-effects, reduce agitation and stabilize mood, and regulate both sensations and perceptions of particular types of pain.
These effects can be produced after a single treatment, and repeated treatments have been shown to increase the relative strength and duration of these effects. In some cases, effects have been stable and permanent, suggesting that the electrical and chemical changes evoked by Alpha-Stim® technology have led to a durable re-tuning back to normal function.
Alpha-Stim® CES engages the serotonergic (5-HT) raphe nuclei of the brainstem. 5-HT inhibits brainstem cholinergic (ACh) and noradrenergic (NE) systems that project supratentorially. This suppresses thalamo-cortical activity, arousal, agitation, alters sensory processing and induces EEG alpha rhythm. As well, 5-HT can act directly to modulate pain sensation in the dorsal horn of the spinal cord, and alter pain perception, cognition and emotionality within the limbic forebrain.
Lesley Parkinson B.Sc.Hons. M.Sc. C.Psychol. A.F.B.Ps.S of Brainhealth in central London UK will not use an Alpha-Stim on her clients without an appropriate assessment as the Alpha-Stim is not suitable in every case or as a “one size fits all” device. It does suit the majority of people with a few exceptions of those people affected by an underlying chronic or clinical cause. For example previously undetected or undiagnosed epilepsy.
Lesley Parkinson strongly urges you to seek an medical assessment of your Brain and central nervous system function before using such a device unless you are absolutely certain that your medical history does not include items such as; and not only restricted to; mild traumatic brain injury, epilepsy, substance abuse and or psychotic episodes or thoughts.
If you would like an appropriate assessment and clinical direction to suit your needs contact Lesley Parkinson who will advise you of the most appropriate and suitable action for you.
Currently Lesley Parkinson is able to offer you an Alpha-stim at a discount for outright purchase.
We generally find that client need assistance with this device to maximise it benefits if it is suitable for you. We can add value to your purchase by mentoring and monitoring your autonomic nervous system for your ultimate Brainhealth and performance.
If you require Brainhealths Alpha-Stim supply and mentoring service?
- First of all discuss your requirements with Lesley Parkinson and be prepared to offer your medical history. This may necessitate a visit to Brainhealth in 10 Harley Street. London. UK for a clinical assessment.
- Assuming that there is NOT any clinical reasons why an Alpha-Stim is not suitable for you then: a) Lesley Parkinson will either supply you or arrange with you to purchase an Alpha-Stim. b) Arrange for an follow up appointment with you. c) If it is appropriate and during your follow up appointment a Brainhealth Alpha-Stim check scan will be undertaken as a reference point by Brainhealth d) If appropriate Brainhealth will demonstrate how to use the device. e) Agree with you your future review dates.
- Assuming that there IS an previously undiagnosed clinical reason why the Alpha-Stim is not currently your best clinical option then further options will be discussed and the most appropriate action plan for you will be offered.
- I. £150. II. £650 (including the supply of an Alpha-Stim). III. As discussed in session I.
- A hire option for II would require a deposit and £125 per mentoring session and a monthly rental.We have had to introduce the deposit and rental scheme as many clients have not returned items that were on loan.